In today’s busy life it is nice to have tools which can turn negative stress into positive energy. Remember, the task is the same whether you have chosen to feel stressed about it or not. Also notice the word “chosen”! We choose our response. Nobody can make you feel down – unless you allow it!
In my articles I have already given different ways of coping with unwanted feelings. Test the method below. You may find it very useful.
Create three pictures and freeze them in your mind’s eye:
- Picture one: Recall the biggest event of love that you have experienced. Focus on sounds,smell, words and feelings that were present. Use as many senses as possible.
- Picture two: Recall the biggest event of your life (winning a very important sport game, holding your baby in your arms, getting a special promotion etc.) Again, focus on sounds, smell, words and feelings that were present. Use as many senses as possible.
- Picture Three: Recall a very, very funny experience where you were laughing and laughing. Again, focus on sounds, smell, words and feelings that were present. Use as many senses as possible.
- Freeze the three pictures so they are very sharp. It will then become very easy for you to recall them just with a blink. The most important of this step is the feeling, because the feeling is what turns the stress away.
- Your willingness. Decide inside yourself, that YOU are in control, that YOU control your life. Decide that you not only will turn the stress away, you will also make yourself happy.
- Make a system so you several times during the day see your pictures. Remember, it only takes a split second so you can turn on your pictures everywhere: When you are waiting in a queue, when you put on the kettle, when you switch on the light, when you are on the toilet etc.). Make it a habit!
- Work with your “de-stress” tool every day for a week, perhaps one more week, and then it will become a great habit.
Everyone can experience stress. It is not only at work you can get stressed. Housewives can get stressed, buying a house with a big mortgage can create stress, and relationship problems can create stress etc. – Now you have a tool to stay in control. Relax and solve the problems the best way possible. Problems are there to be solved and stress is an expression of being alive and active (which most people prefer to the opposite).